Millard and Co lawyer Marcus McCann giving two talks about LGBTQ legal issues
Marcus McCann will bring his experiences as an advocate for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and queer community (LGBTQ) to two upcoming panels on criminal justice and policing.
McCann will be speaking at the Criminal Lawyers Virtual Spring Conference on May 30, 2020 and the Outlaws conference panel A House Divided: Pathways of Remediation for the LGBTQ2+ Community and Law Enforcement on June 4, 2020. Registration for both events is open, and lawyers in attendance will qualify for Law Society of Ontario continuing professional development (CPD) hours.
Both events are taking place entirely over the internet, due to the physical distancing guidelines related to the COVID pandemic.
McCann is a lawyer who has been deeply involved in advocacy work with the LGBTQ community, and his work has often intersected with the criminal law and policing. Recent work includes:
- Participating in the Independent Civilian Review of the handling of missing persons cases following the Bruce McArthur arrest, on behalf of a grassroots LGBTQ group;
- Coauthoring a book chapter on LGBTQ issues and the criminal law released in 2019;
- Advocating to the Senate of Canada on behalf of a coalition of LGBTQ groups about the expungement of historically unjust criminal convictions;
- Winning the disclosure of secret guidelines about criminal prosecutions of HIV-positive people in Ontario.
- Organizing defences to those who had been caught in an undercover police sting at Marie Curtis Park.
In his regular practice, McCann represents LGBTQ people and organizations in the areas of employment, human rights, not-for-profit governance, and civil litigation. In 2019, he and co-counsel Mika Imai, represented AB, an 11-year-old trans girl who challenged the repeal of Ontario’s inclusive sexual health education curriculum.
Do you have a legal issue? Marcus McCann understands the unique challenges that LGBTQ people face. He will work with you, one on one, at every step of your case. He provides thoughtful advice and forceful representation for his clients.